For information about our upcoming conference, please check:
The Center for Contemporary Buddhist Studies – located in the Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark – brings together researchers and stakeholders who are engaged in understanding contemporary processes that impact the manner in which Buddhism is practiced and understood today.
While there are many scholars working on Buddhism in contemporary contexts worldwide, very few research centers have been established to concentrate and pool together resources for approaching the study of contemporary Buddhism. At the Center for Contemporary Buddhist Studies we aim to bring scholars together to create a fruitful academic environment that furthers research and interest in the field of Contemporary Buddhism. We hope to reinforce research in Contemporary Buddhism with the viability of this research becoming strengthened and more visible through connecting through a larger network of scholars and others interested in Contemporary Buddhism. In this way we hope to create a supportive environment towards which scholars and others can turn towards and consult with affiliated scholars for expertise and support.
The Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies at the University of Copenhagen is an ideal location for the Center for Contemporary Buddhist Studies, since it is also home to an integrated academic environment for the inter-disciplinary study of religion and the study of Asian languages and cultures.
Some of our activities include:
- Offering courses related to the topic of Contemporary Buddhism
- Inviting prominent scholars in the field of Contemporary Buddhist Studies for guest lectures, workshops, etc.
- Organizing conferences and workshops on themes related to Contemporary Buddhism
- Inaugurating a regular lecture series where we invite not only prominent scholars, but also prominent stakeholders in the field of Contemporary Buddhism in order to bring together those engaged in the field with those studying it
- Running a podcast series recording interviews with prominent Contemporary Buddhist scholars and stakeholders
- Supporting junior academic research at the Bachelor, Masters and PhD-level on Contemporary Buddhism
- Encouraging and supporting MA-projects and the development of PhD-projects for students coming from Asian languages and cultures, Cross-cultural Studies and Religious Studies
- Promoting and facilitating research stays at the Center for international and national scholars, Postdoc researchers, PhD-fellows and Master-students
- Creating an international presence and awareness of Contemporary Buddhist studies through social media